Welcome to Saco River Canoe & Kayak, with your hosts, the Westerberg family
Home of the best canoeing, kayaking and tubing on Maine and New Hampshire’s Saco River, Saco River Canoe & Kayak was started 50 years ago by the Westerberg family with only one canoe. Today, we boast a large fleet of canoes, kayaks and tubes and a variety of trips for all ages and physical abilities. While our company has grown over the years, our goal has always remained the same: to provide our customers a unique, safe and truly memorable experience on Maine’s pristine and beautiful Saco River.
The Saco River’s headwaters originate from the purest waters of Mt. Washington in Crawford Notch, NH and travels 136 miles, emptying out at Saco, ME into the Gulf of Maine. While the northern part of the Saco is rocky and rapid, the section from the lower part of Conway, NH from Fryeburg to Brownfield, ME is exceptionally sandy. With plenty of great beaches, we offer a variety of trips ranging from a peaceful day-paddle to a weekend camping canoe trip. Trips can range from one hour to a couple of days.
One of the founders, Fred Westerberg, suddenly passed away in the winter of 2019. Fred, a registered Maine guide, was one of biggest advocates for conservation and proper recreational use along the Saco River. He was a co-founder of the Saco River Recreational Council, a group who’s goal is to preserve the beauty of the Saco River for generations to come. While Fred is no longer with us, his values of preservation, safety and customer satisfaction are still ingrained in our company.
Saco River Canoe & Kayak is located approximately 3 hours north of Boston or 1 hour northwest of Portland, ME. We can promise that the drive will not disappoint you.
Directions to Saco River Canoe & Kayak
- From Boston, take I-95 North to Exit 48 (formerly Exit 8) in Portland.
- Turn RIGHT onto Riverside Street, after the toll booth.
- Continue to the junction of Riverside and Rt. 302.
- Take a LEFT onto Rt. 302, and continue into Fryeburg.
- At the junction of Rt. 302 and Rt. 5, (just after the cemetery on your left) take a RIGHT.
- Saco River Canoe & Kayak is 1/2 a mile up on the RIGHT.
FROM CONWAY, NH:
- From Rts. 16 & 302 in Conway Village (just after going through the 4-way intersection lights and then passing the Conway Public Library on your RIGHT) – continue STRAIGHT through the next set of lights onto Rt. 113.
- This will bring you to Center Conway, where that road again turns into Rt. 302. Continue following Rt. 302 (east).
- Travel about 6 miles into Fryeburg Village.
- Continue through the lights, passing Fryeburg Academy on your RIGHT. Just past the academy, bear LEFT onto Rt. 5.
- Saco River Canoe & Kayak is 1/2 mile up on your RIGHT.